[via New Scientist, Kyodo News]
I missed this news item from Wednesday until this morning.
“Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Wednesday it is considering spraying boracic acid by helicopter to prevent spent nuclear fuel rods from reaching criticality again, restarting a chain reaction, at the troubled No. 4 reactor….” [my emphasis]
I thought one of the principal and most comforting safety factors in modern nuclear power systems was that criticality was supposed to have been made impossible. In fact, I was under the impression that the nuclear reactions used to generate power were carefully controlled to keep them sub-critical. Now we are told that under certain circumstances, the geometry of the spent fuel rods in storage at Fukushima could not only allow a criticality incident [although hopefully not a fission-bomb-like explosion] , but that criticality in the storage pool at reactor 4 might happen AGAIN?!
I supposed we should add this to the growing list of design deficiencies in the Fukushima nuclear plant. Are there any other surprises we need to know about?
- 31,280 visits
- RT @kellyjoyrf: IT'S CALLED DRAGON ENERGY, IT'S A NEW THING KANYE AND I HAVE https://t.co/Z7XDto4DmI 16 hours ago
- @kellyjoyrf Surrealist screen capture of the American government. 16 hours ago
- The Hope of Glory Colossians 1:27 biblegateway.com/passage/?searc… via @biblegateway 20 hours ago
- A glorified search engine. #DescribeTwitterBadly 2 days ago
- @PrisonPlanet @SunPro1998 I reported a muslim for posting on a random comment thread that what we (a group of non-m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @TwitchyTeam: 'Prayers up': George H.W. Bush has been hospitalized after contracting an infection twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/… 2 days ago
- Dr Aryeh Nusbacher, has regularly appeared on the standard history documentaries for several years. Now he's appe… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Officials: 4 Dead, Suspect on the Loose after Shooting at Tennessee Waffle House - oann.com/officials-4-de… 4 days ago