These new-fangled machines often confuse me. It took me six months to accept the idea of using the self-service bar-code scanners at the grocery store. Sometimes, the machines just get away from me altogether.
I gave my wife a combo TV/VCR unit for her birthday back in the mid-90’s. It went into the master bedroom, where it functions as our alarm clock, as well as normal TV uses. Over the last 5-6 years, the remote control has become increasingly obstinate. We gradually developed special techniques to get the “timer set” and “menu” keys to operate. I took it apart at least once to see what could be done, and even thought of patching in some microswitches to bypass the critical keys. It has a molded rubber membrane keyboard with carbon buttons on the back, which contact carbon-like pads on the circuit board to close the key switches. The all-important “mute” button finally flexed the membrane once too often and fell out. I tried at least two programmable third-party remotes, with limited success.
Tonight, which is Thanksgiving in the U.S., I finally got desperate enough to open it up again, determined to try to patch in microswitches. When I pulled the rubber key membrane off the circuit board, I noticed resistance, and the kind of sound one hears when pulling adhesive tape off a surface. On closer inspection, I found a clear, syrupy goo spread over much of the circuitry, probably the remains of a forgotten 6-year-old soft drink spill. Needless to say, after scrubbing the mess out with soap and ethanol gel, all of the extant keys work like new. Anybody else need anything fixed…eventually?
- 31,180 visits
- #TheGoodDoctor is a very interesting series. The hashtag, however, seems to consist entirely of people reciting lines from the episode. 35 minutes ago
- Multiple WiFi Encryption Vulnerabilities Disclosed, Affecting Almost Everything anandtech.com/show/11936/mul… |Just isn't getting better. 6 hours ago
- Is Donald Trump SURE this is the message he wants to go with? twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/… via @twitchyteam 6 hours ago
- RT @brianklaas: “The buck stops here.” — Harry Truman “I’m not going to blame myself.” — Donald Trump twitter.com/kylegriffin1/s… 6 hours ago
- Some said the Trump admin would restore conservative values, #MAGA, or was an answer to some angelic prophecy. Nope. oann.com/tillerson-stay… 13 hours ago
- Tillerson: Staying in The Iran Deal is in The Best Interest of U.S. - oann.com/tillerson-stay… |Yes, we told you so. 13 hours ago
- RT @SailorsChristie: #BoycottNFL #SundayMorning https://t.co/80vSib5sOS 1 day ago
- @DineshDSouza It is understood. It's despicable. 1 day ago