These new-fangled machines often confuse me. It took me six months to accept the idea of using the self-service bar-code scanners at the grocery store. Sometimes, the machines just get away from me altogether.
I gave my wife a combo TV/VCR unit for her birthday back in the mid-90’s. It went into the master bedroom, where it functions as our alarm clock, as well as normal TV uses. Over the last 5-6 years, the remote control has become increasingly obstinate. We gradually developed special techniques to get the “timer set” and “menu” keys to operate. I took it apart at least once to see what could be done, and even thought of patching in some microswitches to bypass the critical keys. It has a molded rubber membrane keyboard with carbon buttons on the back, which contact carbon-like pads on the circuit board to close the key switches. The all-important “mute” button finally flexed the membrane once too often and fell out. I tried at least two programmable third-party remotes, with limited success.
Tonight, which is Thanksgiving in the U.S., I finally got desperate enough to open it up again, determined to try to patch in microswitches. When I pulled the rubber key membrane off the circuit board, I noticed resistance, and the kind of sound one hears when pulling adhesive tape off a surface. On closer inspection, I found a clear, syrupy goo spread over much of the circuitry, probably the remains of a forgotten 6-year-old soft drink spill. Needless to say, after scrubbing the mess out with soap and ethanol gel, all of the extant keys work like new. Anybody else need anything fixed…eventually?
- 31,140 visits
- @MarkDice Just wait. We're still trying to figure out pronouns for avocados. #TransRightsAreHumanRights 10 hours ago
- A lot of people saying stuff a lot doesn't make it true, reasonable, or constructive. #TransRightsAreHumanRights 10 hours ago
- #TransRightsAreHumanRights, including a right to change your mind as you realize how destructive your behavior is to the rest of humanity. 10 hours ago
- THE BATTLE OF KURSK – PART II blog.tiger-tank.com/incombat/the-b… 10 hours ago
- THE BATTLE OF KURSK – PART I blog.tiger-tank.com/incombat/battl… 10 hours ago
- @realDonaldTrump Did anyone in the prior administration think about the simple logistics of keeping sexualy-mutlilated people in the field? 11 hours ago
- Pres. Trump to Ban Transgender People From All Military Service - oann.com/pres-trump-to-… 11 hours ago
- @angusmacferret …and a tendency to filch stuff and hide it under furniture. Maybe that's pushing the metaphor a little too far? 1 day ago