The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy made it to theaters after “a long time”. It was “mostly harmless”.
It seems to represent a desperate effort to make long-time fans of the “five-part trilogy” and people who know nothing about it equally happy. It throws so many haphazard, partly- or completely undeveloped plot points at the screen, that it pretty much dissolves into an unintelligible jumble of wierd images and stuff blowing up or turning into petunias. Past halfway, almost all of the jokes, old and new, fall flat. The legendary pangalactic cynicism for which the series is most loved by its fans, is replaced by a rather undeveloped love story (They share a towel, and kiss later). The Guide itself, which is one of the most hilarious comedy mechanisms of the original story, shows up perhaps 3-5 times, none particularly funny. It wasn’t a complete waste of time, but its main impact was to make me nostalgic for the old, ridiculously low-budget PBS mini-series version. It probably made enough money to warrant the sequel which its ending obviously intends, but I will probably have better things to do.
- 31,202 visits
- @Bob_Mayer Great movie cllassic, but as I recall the distance proposed would put the advanced alien civilization inside our Solar system. 7 hours ago
- RT @Real_Assange_: @Twitter just deleted this tweet with no explanation as to why. I’m posting it again. Please retweet! Leaked medical d… 7 hours ago
- RT @sheriran95: Iranians Demonstrate in #Paris on International #HumanRightsDay Against Torture and #Executions in #Iran …https://t.co/3ydh… 7 hours ago
- The current models of government and economy have been tried since pre-history and have never worked. Always ends t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- RT @davideprince: Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help and rely on horses, who trust in chariots because they are many and in horseme… 14 hours ago
- 15 inches of Snow Fell in 90 Minutes in Alaska @weatherchannel weather.com/news/weather/v… 15 hours ago
- Matthew 2:4 biblegateway.com/passage/?searc… via @biblegateway 16 hours ago
- Massive Thomas Fire grows to 5th largest in California history accuweather.com/en/weather-new… 16 hours ago